Datacenter People is partnering with a data centre operator that has a strong track record of offering a comprehensive range of wholesale, build-to-suit and colocation data centre solutions.
What The Job Involves
The Subject Matter Expert (Electrical) is one of the key roles within our data centers. The SME is tasked with attaining the highest levels of proficiency in the operation and maintenance of the electrical equipment in the Data Centres. They are also responsible for overseeing all the activity in and around this equipment.
The SME takes ownership and accountability for the governance of the Electrical infrastructure within the data centres and monitors 3rd party supplier governance and deliverables including the management of training to other employees. The SME will also take responsibility for the proactive projects and work as a key contributor in sustainability.
- Project Management: Work with the site operations teams to understand requirements to maintain a zero-downtime facility and highlight and manage the necessary projects, for both improvements and customer deployments and their impact on the electrical infrastructure. - Ensure continuity between Site Ops and any large Data Centre projects. Responsible for all Electrically based projects and feeds into Mechanical projects. Provide Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QAQC) oversight.
- CERM Management: Plays an active role on the Change Management Board
- Engineering: Proactively manages all Electrical lifecycle information with the facilities maintenance company or individual OEM companies ensuring lifecycle plans / costs are always put in place to ensure operational excellence. Ensures proper operational methodologies are standardised across both sites and then followed in the day to day running of the sites through improvements and auditing.
- Environmental: Takes an active role in the environmental policies and implementation of any new requirements/legislation in relation to the DC Industry.
- Site Management: Proactively works alongside the site management team in achieving the most effective electrical utilisation on sites, while working on predictive failure modelling. Further duties include: tracking electrical availability of systems from the HV – LV (Customer Racks), ensure capacity planning and management is adhered to, collaborate with the site-based team and customers to fully understand their requirements, facilitating the process of engaging the relevant people/companies to design and install required site solutions, organize all of the system documentation and drawings, manage the creation and maintenance of MOP’s or all maintenance activities, work with the appointed FM company, Critical Environment team or assigned specialist companies to manage the correct implementation and effective management of all mechanical systems
- Manage the creation and maintenance of SOP’s for system operation
- Maintain an updated Scope of Work (SOW) for all PM activities
- Oversee the maintenance schedule
- BCP: Engage in business continuity tests
- Policies and Procedure: Ensure that policies and procedures for the safe operation of the data centre electrical systems and sustainability are legally compliant and follow industry best practice across both sites.
- Audit: Monitor the SLAs & KPI’s for the relevant areas of expertise of external 3rd party suppliers to ensure that site performance standards are met or that corrective action is taken in any areas which fall short of the defined standard, ensuring these are reported on a monthly basis and if necessary escalating with the 3rd party suppliers if not corrected.
- Budgets: Work with site-based managers input suggestions for site budget proposals for own site expenditure in line with agreed procedures and operate appropriate controls to ensure that expenditure is in line with budget and authorisation processes.
- Costs: Proactively improve costs on site through monitoring utilisation for all systems, both as a system and individual plant items, managing and implementing energy saving / PUE activities with the aim to reduce overall site costs
- Reporting and KPIs: Ensure site key performance indicators are agreed, managed and achieved in accordance with Country Manager.
- 24/7 Emergency Response for the site-based teams as an escalation point for works when the 3rd party facility maintenance company requires additional support / approvals
We Are Looking For Someone With
The Subject Matter Expert will need to have a broad understanding of electrical systems and equipment function and will be responsible for procedure-based electrical maintenance, troubleshooting, repair, training, and project oversight. The candidate will need to be experienced in Low Voltage & Medium Voltage power distribution with HV authorised traing, electrical protection & controls systems, UPS & battery systems, electrical testing, applicable electrical codes & standards, and must have a basic understanding of mechanical systems.
- Electrical primary degree
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in a critical environment such as a Data Center
- HV Authorised Person
- Expansive theoretical & practical understanding of power equipment & systems, with expertise in electrical equipment design, maintenance, troubleshooting, testing, and/or construction
- Working knowledge of critical facility operations with experience or understanding of procedure-based work
- Working knowledge of mechanical, controls, and life safety monitoring systems
- Significant experience in comprehending electrical plans, specifications, and capacity planning
- Experience of working with multidiscipline teams
- Experience of dealing with customer problems in difficult circumstances
- 3rd party vendor management
- Experience of implementing cost controls
- Up to date with new technologies
- Excellent communication skills and fluent in English.
- In depth knowledge of Building Management and Energy Management Systems and associated technologies
- Must have Full Drivers License and the ability to travel between sites
We regret that due to the high volume of applications we are unable to acknowledge each one. Please bear in mind that if you are selected for interview we will contact you within the next seven days.